Firm Number: 816-525-7881
Cell Number: 816-813-6380
Attorney Jennifer Baird joined Lauber Municipal Law, LLC, in 2015 and practices in the areas of general municipal law, land use planning and zoning, public facility/infrastructure construction and financing, economic development law, human resource public works contracts, annexation, and dangerous building and nuisance abatement law. Prior to joining Lauber Municipal Law, LLC, Jennifer worked for a boutique law firm in Lee’s Summit, Missouri which specialized in representing municipalities. In addition, she has served as an Assistant City Attorney for the City of Lee’s Summit, Missouri, with a focus on development and redevelopment of property. In her role with the City of Lee’s Summit, she provided legal advice to the Planning and Development, Parks and Recreation, Human Resources, Administration, Purchasing, Water Utilities, and Information Technology departments. Prior to attending law school, Jennifer was motivated to pursue a legal career by her experience as a paralegal at White Goss in which she specialized in bringing development to communities. Jennifer grew up in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. She currently lives in the Lee’s Summit area with her husband, Matt, and two children.
University of Missouri-Kansas City, J.D., 2004
University of Missouri-Columbia, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, 1995
Relevant Legal Experience
- City attorney for the Cities of Camden, Henrietta, Fleming, Wellington, Bates City, and Sugar Creek
- Currently serves as the Assistant City Attorney for fourteen Missouri cities including: Lawson, Urich, Creighton, Crystal Lakes, East Lynne, Archie, Adrian, Drexel, Windsor, Appleton City, Lake Winnebago, Peculiar, Butler, and Odessa.
- Currently serves as Assistant General Counsel to: Downtown Excelsior Springs Community Improvement District, Mount Pleasant Township Special Road District, Harrisonville Town Center Transportation Development District, and the Historic Downtown Liberty Commercial Community Improvement District.
- Currently serves as special counsel for human resources and employment matters to MIRMA.
- Provided assistance for special projects in: Branson (Administrative Hearing Process, Formation of 76 Entertainment Community Improvement District); Sugar Creek (Red Flag Rule training, preparation of TIF Annual Reports, FLSA requirements); Odessa (Board of Zoning Adjustment); Pleasant Valley (financing for Fire Station building, Planning and Zoning matters); and Liberty (formation of the Historic Downtown Liberty Commercial Community Improvement District).
- Provides assistance for economic development projects in: Grandview, Branson, Sedalia, and Pleasant Valley.
- Served as in-house legal counsel for a home rule charter city providing legal advice to the administration, finance, purchasing, human resources, information technology, planning and development, parks and recreation, and water utilities departments and provided opinions and advice to the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Adjustment, Park Board, City Council and City Council subcommittees.
- Managed several phases of a road project, drafting key real estate documents, negotiating and drafting construction contracts and settlement agreements while keeping the project teams and key stakeholders informed of the projects progress.
- Conducted dangerous building and nuisance abatement hearings.
- Instrumental in forming Community Improvement Districts, Transportation Development Districts, and Neighborhood Improvement Districts in the Kansas City area.
- Assisted several communities with forming Enhanced Enterprise Zones.
- Developed and directed approximately $500,000,000 of commercial, office, upscale retail and mixed-use development and improvements within the Kansas City metropolitan area through the use of economic development tools, such as, Tax Increment Financing, Transportation Development District, Community Improvement District, and Neighborhood Improvement District incentives.
- Complex contract negotiations for real estate development including leasing, transportation, utilities and infrastructure, and cooperative agreements.
The Missouri Bar
Missouri Municipal League
Missouri Municipal Attorneys Association