University of Missouri—Columbia, J.D., 1988
Indiana State University, M.P.A., 2016
Westminster College, B.A., 1985
America’s Most Honored Lawyers, Top 5%
Economic Opportunity subcommittee of the Ferguson Commission, 2015
Recipient of the Lou Czech Award, Missouri Municipal Attorneys Association, 2012
Relevant Legal Experience
- Currently serving as City Attorney for the cities of Fayette, Russellville, Kimberling City, Otterville, Meta and Auxvasse and the Village of Arrow Rock, Kingdom City and Centertown
- Appointed City Counselor for the City of Jefferson City (2003 -2012)
- Appointed City Administrator for the City of Jefferson City (2011 - 2013)
- Appointed by Governor as General Counsel for the Missouri Department of Economic Development (2013 - 2017)
- Appointed Village Attorney and Prosecutor for the Village of Wardsville (1988 - 2003)
- Elected City Prosecutor, City of Jefferson (1991 - 1995)
- Appointed City Attorney and Prosecutor for the City of Linn (1998-2003)
- Appointed City Attorney for the City of Ashland (2000-2003)
- Appointed City Attorney for the City of Holts Summit (1995 - 1998)
- Appointed City Attorney for the City Attorney, City of Meta (1996 - 2003)
- Appointed City Attorney for the City Attorney, City of Chamois (1998 - 2001)
- Appointed City Prosecutor for the City of St. Thomas (1991 - 2000)
- Appointed City Counselor for the City of Webster Groves (2017-2018)
- Appointed Special Prosecutor, County of Cole (1992-1995, 1998, 2004)
- Certified ICS through ICS 400, Advanced Incident Command System (ICS) for Command and General Staff - Complex Incidents
- Legal Advisor for negotiations that resulted in the largest job creation project in the history of Missouri.
- Won a first in the nation settlement of over $3 million from Cingular Wireless over cell phone taxation and increasing city tax receipts by over $12 Million during the next six years.
- Author of The Sunshine Law, MoBar, 3rd Edition 2014 (81 pages). The widely used handbook for open meetings and records in Missouri.
- Extensive knowledge of municipal utility operations and collections, including suits involving sewer backups and disputes with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources
- Broad knowledge of state economic development incentives and community development tools such as CDBG and Missouri Works, as well as local economic development tools such as Redevelopment Plans, Community Improvement Districts, Transportation Development Districts, and Chapter 100 plans.
- Extensive knowledge of government pension systems including having served as General Counsel to the Missouri Local Government Employees Retirement System (LAGERS), Missouri Public School Retirement System (PSRS), and local fire pension system.
- Decades of experience in code enforcement, nuisance abatement and dangerous or dilapidated buildings.
- Experienced in ordinance and code drafting, including drafting three complete codes.
The Missouri Bar
Missouri Municipal Attorneys Association (President, 2007)
Missouri Bar Local Government Committee (Chairman, 2005-2007)
International Municipal Attorneys Association